HALIFAX, NS — Halifax International Security Forum (HFX) announced today that Canada’s Chief of the Defence Staff, Gen. Jonathan Vance received its prestigious Builder Award.
“The Builder Award recognizes individuals or groups who have been instrumental to the success of HFX and are tireless advocates for global security,” said Peter Van Praagh, HFX President. “Gen. Vance recognized early the benefit of bringing the democratic world together in Halifax. His visionary leadership on advancing the roles of women in the Canadian Forces led to the creation of the HFX Peace With Women Fellowship. His important contributions have helped the Forum grow in size, scope and influence during his time as Canada’s CDS. He exemplifies what this award is all about.”
“It has been my utmost pleasure to support and participate in the Halifax International Security Forum since its inception in 2011 as an independent body. I have been enriched by the experience, and it has been such a privilege for me to contribute to the forum,” said Gen. Jonathan Vance, Chief of the Defence Staff. “I’m extremely honoured and humbled to be selected as this year’s recipient of the Builder Award. It’s an honour to join the impressive list of previous recipients from industry, civil society, and NATO. Thank you once more for the distinction that you have bestowed upon me.”
Established in 2012, the Builder Award is bestowed upon individuals or groups that have made a special contribution to ensuring that the Halifax International Security Forum continues to further its mission of advancing strategic cooperation among democracies.
Past recipients of the Builder Award:
- 2019 – Ms. Nancy C. Southern, Chair, President & Chief Executive Officer of ATCO Ltd. and Canadian Utilities Limited
- 2018 – Senator Jeanne Shaheen, United States Senator, New Hampshire
- 2017 – The North Atlantic Treaty Organization
- 2016 – Senator Tim Kaine, United States Senator, and Co-Chair US Congressional Delegation
- 2015 – The Honourable Peter MacKay, PC, QC, Minister of National Defence, Canada
- 2014 – Mr. Bill McCaffrey, President, Chief Executive Officer and Director of MEG Energy Corporation and Chairman, Halifax Canada Club
- 2013 – Senators John McCain and Mark Udall, United States Senators, and Co-Chairs, US Congressional Delegation
- 2012 – General Walter Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff of Canada
The Halifax International Security Forum is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organization based in Washington, DC. The Forum is made possible by the generous support from its partners, including the Government of Canada, and the Club HFX.
For more information and for media accreditation, please contact:
HFX Communications Manager
Please direct other inquiries to email@example.com
The public can register here to receive updates about HFX2020.
Follow HFX2020 on social media and watch plenaries live on our website, Facebook, and YouTube:
- Follow @HfxForum on Twitter for regular updates, quotes and pictures. Take part in the conversation by using the hashtag #HFX2020.
- Like our Facebook page and follow HFX2020 proceedings over Facebook Live.
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive all video updates and follow HFX2020 live.
- Live stream the plenaries on our website.