“The HFX China Principles spell out in very clear language how people everywhere can defend their democracies from Chinese meddling,” said Peter Van Praagh, HFX President.
The HFX China Principles are found in the Handbook for Democracies, China vs. Democracy: The Greatest Game.
HFX China Principles:
The democratic world pledges to defend itself from the following practices that undermine its values and way of life:
- IGNORING CHINA’S ATTEMPTS TO INTERFERE IN DEMOCRATIC SOCIETIES;
- SUBMITTING TO, COLLABORATING WITH, OR PARTICIPATING IN ANY CENSORSHIP OR SELF-CENSORSHIP OF IDEAS, WRITINGS, ARTISTIC ENDEAVORS, OR STATEMENTS RELATED TO THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA;
- PARTICIPATING IN ANY BUSINESS OR TECHNOLOGY-RELATED PRACTICES OR EXCHANGES THAT AID AND ABET CHINESE COMMUNIST PARTY OPPRESSION OF ITS OWN PEOPLE;
- NEGLECTING TO OPPOSE ATTEMPTS BY THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA TO BRING GLOBAL GOVERNANCE OF THE INTERNET AND TECHNOLOGICAL STANDARDS INTO ALIGNMENT WITH ITS
OWN AUTHORITARIAN VALUES AND AMBITIONS;
- SUPPORTING OR ENGAGING IN ANY KIND OF PUNISHMENT OR SANCTION OF ANYONE FOR ENGAGING IN CRITICISM OF CHINA;
- FAILING TO SUPPORT DEMOCRATICALLY-MINDED PEOPLE AND GOVERNMENTS ACROSS THE WORLD WHO FACE PRESSURE OR INTIMIDATION BY THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA;
- KNOWINGLY BUYING OR TRADING IN CHINESE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES MADE WITH FORCED LABOR, OR THAT ARE THE RESULT OF CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES LIKE COUNTERFEITING OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY THEFT.
The 2020 Halifax International Security Forum, which took place November 20-22, featured a plenary panel also entitled, “China vs Democracy: The Greatest Game.” It is available to view at www.halifaxtheforum.org.
— 30 –
For media inquiries please contact:
Robin MacLachlan, Communications Manager
Halifax International Security Forum
Please direct other inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org