HFX is an independent non-governmental organization based in Washington, DC, dedicated to strengthening strategic cooperation among the world’s democracies. HFX is best known for its annual Halifax International Security Forum. HFX’s flagship annual Forum in Halifax, Canada is recognized as the leading gathering of democratic leaders committed to global security and prosperity.
HFX’s expanding global programs include the Peace With Women Fellowship; the John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service; and Stand Together On China. HFX has also just launched the Ukraine Victory Fund to provide Ukraine with its own Dedicated Satellite Constellation to help repel the Russian invasion.
The Program Associate is responsible for supporting the overall coordination, development, and management of the HFX Peace With Women Fellowship, a three-week leadership program for senior active-duty female military officers from NATO member and partner countries.
Reporting directly to the Director, the Program Associate will assist in all aspects of the Fellowship preparations including program curriculum and content development, call for applications, candidate selection process, fundraising, communications, logistics, and evaluation. In addition, she/he will accompany the Fellows on their tour of Washington, DC, San Francisco, Ottawa, and Toronto in late October until its conclusion at the annual Halifax International Security Forum in late November in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
This position provides the opportunity to develop expertise in the area of women’s leadership development and interact with a diverse array of individuals in a professional capacity, including government and military partners, experts at non-governmental organizations, and vendors.
As a member of a small organization, the Program Associate will have opportunities to learn about the global security dialogue, women in the military leadership needs, connect with like-minded organizations in Washington, DC, and contribute to other organizational initiatives as needed.
- Coordinate administrative support for the recruitment and selection process of Fellows;
- Coordinate program logistics including air and ground transportation, accommodations, meals, and other aspects to ensure efficiency and participant comfort;
- Support the management of relations and liaisons with Fellowship candidates, final Fellows, and key stakeholders across different sectors;
- Support the production of printed Fellowship materials, including coordination with graphic designer and printers;
- Support the development and management of content for the organization’s website, database, and other platforms;
- Research opportunities for program fundraising;
- Support the Director’s external relations initiatives at the Halifax International Security Forum;
- Follow current events relevant to global security and to women and security in order to contribute to the development of the program curriculum and content;
- Take advance trips to program sites as needed and supports on-site implementation of all events during the 3-week Fellowship in October and November;
- Support development and implementation of external communications, including social media and press releases;
- Contribute to the overall evaluation of the program;
- Contribute to the development and participation in a network of program alumnae;
- Contribute to organizational development as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of professional experience in program coordination or event planning experience, preferably working on academic or international programs;
- Availability and ability to travel throughout the year for recruiting and site visits and for 4 weeks during the Fellowship and Forum across the United States and Canada;
- Willingness to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization with courtesy, responsiveness, and thoughtfulness;
- Ability to handle confidential and proprietary information with discretion;
- Effective oral and written communication skills to present information and respond to questions;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively prioritize;
- Ability to think critically;
- A strong working knowledge of a variety of computer applications, including Apple software and Microsoft Office.
Compensation and Benefits
HFX provides an industry leading compensation and benefits package and in 2022 successfully launched its innovative four-day work week.
How to Apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume, 1-2 page writing sample, two references (name, title, organization, phone number and email address) to email@example.com. Enter “Program Associate, Peace With Women Fellowship” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered.