HFX is an independent non-governmental organization based in Washington, DC, dedicated to strengthening strategic cooperation among the world’s democracies. HFX is best known for its annual Halifax International Security Forum. HFX’s annual Forum in Halifax, Canada is recognized as the leading gathering of democratic leaders committed to global security and prosperity. Halifax attracts senior politicians – including a significant delegation from the United States Congress — top military commanders, strategists, thinkers, influential journalists, and business leaders from across the democratic world. Halifax also convenes high-level meetings in Washington DC, London, and elsewhere, as well as produces public policy recommendations and strategic advice on the major geo-political challenges of the day and for the years to come. Halifax is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organization based in Washington, DC.
Position Summary – Finance and Operations Officer
The Finance and Operations Officer reports directly to the COO and is responsible for overseeing and maintaining financial management, management of office functions, and file maintenance. S/he will work to align Halifax’s finances, operations, and systems in keeping with the organization’s priorities. This position is the point of contact for staff for finance and operations-related requests and requires at least 5 years of experience in accounting, finance, or administration at a not-for-profit organization.
• Work with COO and senior staff to coordinate annual budget development process
• Manage accounts payable in collaboration with COO and programmatic staff
• Manage accounts receivable in coordination with COO
• Manage daily cash flow and forecasting; ensure availability of funds as needed; serve as first POC for banking relationships
• Analyze general ledger accounts, including reviewing of monthly and quarterly reconciliations and ensure accuracy
• Maintain and implement a documented system of financial policies and procedures
• Oversee government grant administration and reporting
• Prepare grant proposal budgets in collaboration with COO and staff
• Work closely with COO and outside accounting firm to coordinate financial reviews, proper filing of tax returns
• Ensure adherence to local, federal, and international government-related policies and procedures
• Site Management: Oversee administrative functions, ensuring smooth daily operations of office and equipment
• Information Technology: Coordinate with IT provider to ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure, including hardware, software, etc.
• Human Resources: Assist in the performance of HR functions, including recruitment, hiring and compensation; benefits administration and oversight; and regulatory oversight and legal compliance
• Act as primary point of contact for organization vendors, maintaining organized files and payment schedules
● A college degree is required, preference for a background in business, finance, accounting or operations, and/or CPA
● At least 5 years of work experience in a not-for-profit organization
● A demonstrated interest in Halifax’s mission
Required Knowledge and Skills
• Analytical skills and professional maturity
• Independent problem solver
• Self-motivation and confidence, attention to detail, excellent organizational and communication skills, flexibility, and professional discretion
• Ability to adhere to deadlines and plan effectively
• Demonstrated professionalism, tact, and diplomacy
• Initiative to research, frame, and analyze complex problems with limited supervision, along with the ability to be decisive, observant, and innovative
• Must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization with courtesy, responsiveness, and thoughtfulness
• A strong working knowledge of a variety of computer applications, including Apple software, Microsoft Office, and QuickBooks
• Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a demonstrated ability to juggle competing tasks and demands
• Must be able to handle confidential and proprietary information with discretion
This position generally works in an office environment, with occasional travel requirements and/or attendance at external events and activities. Work outside normal business hours, evenings and weekends may be required to meet these and other position requirements. Required business travel is anticipated to be no more than 15% and may include successive overnight and occasional weekend travel.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Note: This job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement. Other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary by the supervisor.
Compensation and Benefits
HFX provides an industry-leading compensation package.
Applications will be considered until 11:59 pm on September 2nd, 2022. Please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
HFX is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.