Halifax International Security Forum is devoted to strengthening strategic cooperation among democratic nations. Our flagship conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia is recognized widely as North America’s leading annual Forum for the discussion of the world’s most pressing security challenges. Halifax attracts senior politicians – including a significant delegation from the United States Congress — top military commanders, strategists, thinkers, influential journalists, and business leaders from across the democratic world. Halifax also convenes high-level meetings in Washington DC, London, and elsewhere, as well as produces public policy recommendations and strategic advice on the major geo-political challenges of the day and for the years to come. Halifax is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organization based in Washington, DC.
The Event Manager is responsible for the strategic development, management, and execution of the organization’s annual Forum in Halifax, Nova Scotia. S/he plays an integral role by maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, funders and vendors. In addition to the annual Forum the Event Manager will take on a direct role in the development of new organizational programs, including additional major international events.
The Event Manager supervises one Program Associate directly and four interns indirectly, and reports directly to the Managing Director. This is a highly visible position with room for growth.
- Manages, oversees, and executes all aspects of the annual November Forum;
- Tracks and maintains the overall timeline for the Forum, ensuring all deadlines are met;
- Maintains relationships with Forum stakeholders, funders, and key organizational partners;
- Works closely with the Managing Director in selecting and managing all Forum vendors;
- Leads Forum coordination calls and in-person meetings with stakeholders and vendors;
- Manages the Forum budget and tracks expenditures, ensuring all vendor agreements and costs are within budget;
- Coordinates and conducts post-Forum evaluations to assess impact, identify areas for progress, and implement recommendations for improvement;
- Supports the organization’s fundraising efforts by cultivating donor relationships, creating fundraising collateral, and researching prospective donors;
- Collaborates with the Managing Director in supporting the organization’s communications, PR, and social media strategy and managing the Forum’s communications consultants;
- Maintains the organization’s website, digital presence, and printed collateral; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5-7 years of project management or event management experience, preferably in the public or non-profit sector;
- Highly organized with immaculate attention to detail and a demonstrated creative approach to developing impactful events programming;
- Knowledge of and interest in international security, foreign affairs, and defense issues;
- Experience working internationally, and managing high-level principals;
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and think proactively;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively prioritize;
- Strong networking skills; and
- A strong working knowledge of a variety of computer applications, including Apple software, Microsoft Office, and social media platforms. Experience with Salesforce, MailChimp, and WordPress a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15.