HFX is an independent non-governmental organization based in Washington, DC, dedicated to strengthening strategic cooperation among the world’s democracies. HFX is best known for its annual Halifax International Security Forum. HFX’s flagship annual Forum in Halifax, Canada is recognized as the leading gathering of democratic leaders committed to global security and prosperity.
HFX’s expanding global programs include the Peace With Women Fellowship; the John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service; and Stand Together On China. HFX has also just launched the Ukraine Victory Fund to provide Ukraine with its own Dedicated Satellite Constellation to help repel the Russian invasion.
The Director of the HFX Peace With Women Fellowship is responsible for managing an unprecedented professional development program for senior ranking, active duty, female-identifying military officers from democratic countries. She/he is responsible for advancing women’s leadership in international security through its innovative executive tour program and robust alumnae engagement. Additionally, the Director supports the Fellowship as an international organizing actor amongst democratic countries to counter the growing tide of illiberalism facing today’s world.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director and Vice President of HFX in Washington, DC, the Director is a strategic level leadership position responsible for all aspects of the Fellowship, including its design, direction, management, and future strategic growth. The Director will manage a small staff dedicated to supporting the Fellowship’s research, logistics, and administration. When needed, the Director will serve as an external spokesperson on issues related to leadership issues for women in the military.
- Designing the annual Fellowship, including the program, the budget, communications, and fundraising plan for an effective and sustainable program;
- Developing and implementing a Fellows Recruitment Framework to ensure a robust application pool;
- Executing the selection process for Fellows with an independent Selection Committee;
- Communicating effectively with Fellowship candidates and selected Fellows;
- Leading key stakeholder and representational engagements in support of the Fellows program;
- Leveraging HFX’s institutional strengths for strategic public engagement and program advancement;
- Overseeing the development of relevant and effective programming for the established and growing alumnae network;
- Building and implementing successful strategies for growing the program;
- Zealously moving the program beyond where it has gone before by cultivating new partnerships with governmental and non-governmental organizations and ensuring programmatic themes align with solving contemporary international security challenges.
- Minimum of ten years of experience;
- Enthusiastic support of HFX’s mission;
- Required understanding of international security trends and significant and relevant knowledge and experience in the area of international security issues;
- Demonstrated experience in leadership development and understanding of unique challenges facing women in the military;
- Proven experience serving as spokesperson and engaging the media;
- Demonstrated record of expanding programs and programmatic elements with vision and creativity;
- Recognized excellence, innovation, flexibility, and agility in developing and delivering executive-level professional development programs;
- Demonstrated experience working with or within government, non-governmental, or military organizations;
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, create, manage and independently lead a program and small team;
- Proven ability to lead strategic stakeholder engagement, including fundraising;
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the year for program preparation and delivery, including 4 weeks for the fall Fellowship program in October-November;
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills;
- Must be able to interact and communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization with courtesy, responsiveness, and thoughtfulness.
Compensation and Benefits
HFX provides an industry leading compensation and benefits package and in 2022 successfully launched its innovative four-day work week.
How to Apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume, writing sample of 1-2 pages, and two references (name, title, organization, phone number and email address) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference “Director, Peace with Women Fellowship” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered.