Join forces with Washington’s preeminent organization dedicated to advancing strategic cooperation among the world’s democracies.
HFX is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan organization best known for its annual Halifax International Security Forum. In addition to the November Forum that brings the democratic world’s security leaders to Halifax, Canada, other programs include the Peace With Women Fellowship and the John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service.
In November 2020, HFX published China vs. Democracy: The Greatest Game. Based on the conclusions from this Handbook for Democracies, HFX is implementing a new program to forge a common approach to China among the world’s democracies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Officer, China is responsible for the day-to-day operations of HFX’s new China program. This includes:
- Running the #StandTogetherOnChina social media campaign; including regular messaging to strengthen and expand HFXChina’s presence on social media.
- Communicating verbally and in writing with HFX stakeholders, including writing grant proposals and reports to funders;
- Tracking in real time issues related to China and helping senior staff in the research and preparation of op-eds and other China-related publications;
- Developing relationships among like-minded individuals and organizations and identifying and inviting global China policymakers and experts to participate in Halifax International Security Forum and HFX’s year-round work.
Please note: This position is based at HFX’s Dupont Circle, Washington, DC headquarters. However, in response to the pandemic, HFX is teleworking for the duration. The person hired for this position must be willing to relocate to the Washington, DC area by the time normal in-office work resumes.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Advanced degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- Fluent Chinese language writing and speaking are required.
- Excellent English writing skills are required.
- Extensive experience using social media platforms is required.
- Comprehensive understanding of Chinese and East Asian regional security issues is required.
- Enthusiastic commitment to HFX’s mission is required.
Application Deadline: February 16, 2021
HFX offers very competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience.
HFX offers an industry-leading benefits package.
How to apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume, the names of 2 people who will serve as a reference and a 250-500 word writing sample by email to email@example.com. Enter “Program Officer, China” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls please.
Job Type: Full-time