Halifax International Security Forum is seeking an intern to work in its Washington, DC office. Halifax International Security Forum is a multifaceted organization dedicated to achieving lasting security and peace by strengthening strategic cooperation among democracies through close dialogue between the world’s key leaders and influencers. As an independent, non-partisan, non-profit organization, Halifax International Security Forum conducts a variety of expanding programs with the aim of addressing today’s most pressing security threats. Halifax’s programming includes its eponymous flagship event, Halifax International Security Forum, the world’s premiere foreign affairs and defense conference; Halifax Peace With Women Fellowship; John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service; and “Pete and Steve’s The World”, a podcast.
The internship will provide exposure to a variety of international security issues and the opportunity to gain firsthand experience in the daily operation of a dynamic and expanding international security and foreign policy non-profit organization. Interns will play a vital role in preparing for the organization’s signature annual conference. They will also have the opportunity to contribute to Halifax’s overall mission. This includes assisting with the company’s additional programs, supporting the organization’s communications efforts, and helping facilitate smooth daily office operations. This internship will begin in June 2020 and continue through January 2021, with the possibility of accompanying staff to the annual Forum. Applicants should be available for a full-time schedule Monday-Friday from 9:00am-6:00pm.
- Research potential conference participants and speakers;
- Send and track invitations to the annual conference;
- Serve as the main point of contact for international military leaders, diplomats, donors, and other conference attendees;
- Update and maintain internal database using Salesforce;
- Assist in social media management including Twitter and Facebook;
- Assist in website maintenance;
- Assist in the drafting of language for email campaigns, written correspondence and other communications;
- Follow current events relevant to the international security agenda;
- Provide research support; and
- Support other team members in their various functions.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field;
- Demonstrated coursework and/or internships in the field of international relations/security;
- Must be able to demonstrate writing and editing abilities;
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions;
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and across different cultures;
- Previous experience with website management – ideally WordPress;
- Previous experience in social media management;
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Office and Google Suite;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; and
- Familiarity with Apple products a plus.
- Start Date: June 1, 2020
- End Date: January 29, 2021
- Hours per week: A full-time schedule Monday-Friday
- Compensation: $2,400 stipend per month
- Application Deadline: Midnight, March 29, 2020
How to apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume, 1-2 references and a 1-2 page writing sample by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter “International Relations Internship” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls, please. No applications will be accepted after March 29, 2020.
Job Type: Internship