2019 International Relations Internship
Halifax International Security Forum is seeking an intern to work in its Washington, DC office. Halifax International Security Forum is a multifaceted organization dedicated to achieving lasting security and peace by strengthening strategic cooperation among democracies through close dialogue between the world’s key leaders and influencers. As an independent, non-partisan, non-profit organization, Halifax International Security Forum conducts a variety of expanding programs with the aim of addressing today’s most pressing security threats. Halifax’s programming includes its eponymous flagship event, Halifax International Security Forum, the world’s premiere foreign affairs and defense conference; Halifax Peace With Women Fellowship; John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service; and “Pete and Steve’s The World”, a podcast.
The internship will provide exposure to a variety of international security issues and the opportunity to gain firsthand experience in the daily operation of a dynamic and expanding international security and foreign policy non-profit organization. Each intern will primarily assist in preparations for the organization’s signature annual conference, and will have the opportunity to contribute in the development and implementation of Halifax ’s other programming, support the organization’s communications efforts, and help facilitate smooth daily office operations. This internship will begin in June 2019 and continue through January 2020, with the possibility of accompanying staff to the annual Forum. Applicants should be available for a full-time schedule Monday-Friday from 9:00am-6:00pm.
Responsibilities will include:
• Research potential conference participants and speakers;
• Send and track invitations to the annual conference;
• Update and maintain internal database;
• Assist in social media management including Twitter and Facebook;
• Assist in website maintenance;
• Assist in the drafting of language for email campaigns, written correspondence and other communications;
• Follow current events relevant to the international security agenda;
• Provide research support;
• Support other team members in their various functions.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field;
• Demonstrated coursework and/or internships in the field of international relations/security;
• Must be able to demonstrate writing abilities;
• Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions;
• Strong interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and across different cultures;
• Preferred experience with website and database management – ideally WordPress and Salesforce
• Previous experience in social media management;
• Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team;
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
• Knowledgeable in Microsoft Excel;
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; and
• Familiarity with Apple products a plus.
Start Date: June 3, 2019
End Date: January 24, 2020
Hours per week: A full-time schedule Monday-Friday
Compensation: $1,840 stipend per month
Application Deadline: Midnight, March 3, 2019
How to apply
Please submit one PDF including a cover letter, resume, 1-2 references and a 1-2 page writing sample by email to email@example.com. Enter “International Relations Internship” in the subject line. Only complete applications will be considered. No phone calls, please. No applications will be accepted after March 3, 2019.
Job Type: Internship